Voluntary Coverage of Separated Members

An unemployed SSS member who has no previous SS record of coverage or contributions cannot just start paying contiributions as a Voluntary Member for the sole purpose of qualifying for an SS ID Card  or SSS benefits. Such contributions shall be deemed invalid and duly returned/refunded. Voluntary Membership is solely for previously employed/self-employed/OFW members.

A member who is separated from employment or ceased to be self-employed/overseas Filipino worker/non-working spouse may continue paying SSS contributions using the previously assigned SS number through Contributions Payment Return (SS Form RS-5) where he/she should put a check mark on the box for Voluntary (Separated) Member. Posting of said payment will change the membership status from covered employee, self-employed, OFW, or non-working spouse to a voluntary paying member.