Compulsory Coverage of Self-Employed Persons


Self-employed/voluntary members should:

  1. Pay your contributions using SS Form RS-5 (Contributions Payment Return) monthly or quarterly in accordance with the prescribed schedule of payment.

    Beginning 01 January 2004, self-employed and voluntary members, including OFWs may change their MSC monthly. The change may be by one or two salary brackets without requiring the submission of documents to prove their earnings. In case the change will result to an MSC of lower than P5,000.00, or where the change will result in more than two salary brackets higher or lower than the present MSC, a Declaration of Earnings must be submitted to support the new earnings. However, if the age of the member is 55 years or older and the present MSC is more than P10,000.00, the allowed increase is only one salary bracket regardless of whether the supporting documents are submitted or not.

    For Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), the minimum MSC was increased from P3,000.00 to P5,000.00, beginning 01 January 2004.

  2. Register with My.SSS at the SSS website provided you have at least one (1) month posted contribution. This will enable you to have online access to your records so that you can confirm or check your coverage, contributions and status of claims.
  3. Be updated in paying your salary loan to avoid penalties on late payments and deductions from your benefits because of past due loans.
  4. Keep your personal records updated and correct by submitting a completed SS Form E-4 (Member's Data Amendment Form) together with the corresponding supporting document/s to avoid delays in processing of benefit claims; and
  5. Be aware of changes and improvements in the SSS policies and benefit structure so as to fully utilize your benefits.